Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel picture in sheet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliedeng

Chemical
May 6, 2001
US
I am interested in putting an image of a tank in an excel sheet and showing how full it is in cell A1 on the image.
This will show the user how much the tank is full.
Can anyone direct me to how I might do this??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of Excel are you running? I'm not sure about 2007, but in 2003 it is not possible to put a picture inside a cell. All pictures/images/shapes/whatever are placed on the sheet "in front of" the cells.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

You can insert a picture into the comment (Select comment, right click and then Format comment/Colors and Lines/Color/Fill Effects/Picture). To control the level in a tank, though, is possible only using VBA and a few different pictures.
The other way is to use conditional formatting on a vertical range of cells representing the tank. Let say tank is 10 cells high, the value in cell "B2" represents percentage of tank filled.
The bottom cell condition ="$B$2>0" background color = blue
Sectond cell condition =$B$2>=15
Top (10) cell condition =$B$2>=95

See attached file.

hope it helps!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8b999106-24ee-4919-bea6-af1810503b8c&file=tank.xls
Using conditional formatting - that's clever, yet so simple! I never would have thought of that.

-JTBorton
Well, You can try banging your head against the wall, but you just end up with lost-time injuries and damaged equipment. [M. Passman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back