Excel Spreadsheets, AutoCAD and Limited Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

bot1357

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
GB
Ladys and Gents,

I am inserting excel spreadsheets into an AutoCAD drawing, simple enough. However why, after I insert the excel spreadsheet does it only show a limited number of colums and a limited number of rows? Is there a way to get round this so I can see all my data in one go?

Ta
Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lothar,

Thanks for your reply I read the information on the link supplied and decided to split the excel spreadsheet into more manageable chucks and then pieced them together in AutoCAD.

However I was thinking last night, I wondered if you could do it the other way round? i.e insert the AutoCAD border into excel as a WMF file. I have just tried it and it worked you just need to sort the margins out.

Regards to all
Danny

If you are using OLE than you may have problem due to size of the file. Instead do a simple copy and paste directly instead of doing it thru OLE. It has worked for me in the past.

I do a copy from Excel and a paste in AutoCAD. Then re-size it to fit. The spreadsheet becomes an object in Autocad and if you want to edit it you just double-click on it in AutoCAD. Changes will not be saved to the original spreadsheet and you don't have to include the original spreadsheet if you give the .dwg file to someone else.

Be careful if you are using multiple layout tabs and you like to insert this type of object in Paper Space. You won't be able to see it in Tabs other than the one you inserted it in, but if you double-click in another tab in the same area as the object it will access it.

Mark Schroder
Design Engineer
McKean & Associates Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back