Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[Excel] Valid Date Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullmonkey

Computer
Dec 10, 2001
US
I'm receiving a date in three parts (month,day,year) from a userform. Is there a prescripted VBA function that can check to see if this is a valid date? I have been using
Code:
dtDate = CDate(DateSerial(iYear,iDay,iMonth))
bValidDate = IsDate(dtDate)

to make this decision, but
Code:
DateSerial
will accept negative numbers, zeros, and numbers outside of my range (i.e. "70" as
Code:
iDay
is not a problem). Also, I'd like to make sure that the year is entered as a four-digit number.

Can I avoid hard-coding this? Or does Excel offer any tools for this sort of thing?

Any input would be appreciated.

SM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't see the perfect solution to your problem.
I propose two half way solutions (the second is preferred):
1)Transform your number to a string and use the date function that transforms it into a serial date: this function gives an error if day and month values are not valid, but accepts years in a two digits format.
2)Instead of checking the date with [tt]IsDate()[/tt], get back year, month and day from [tt]dtDate[/tt] with the corresponding functions and compare them with the input values: if they are the same then the input was OK. prex
motori@xcalcsREMOVE.com
Online tools for structural design

Maybe you could try something like this:
Code:
Dim sDate As String

sDate = Text1.Text & "/" & Text2.Text & "/" & Text3.Text
bValidDate = IsDate(sDate)
This removes the potential errors introduced by using the DateSerial method.

Hope this helps...

DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back