Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel Waterjet/Router Cut Time Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

idotheestimating

Aerospace
Aug 17, 2020
US
I apologise if this exists somewhere on the forum.
Total brainlet here when it comes to producing excel formulas but I need one that will help speed quoting up immensely.
I need to be able to enter the following variables and have a time in minutes returned:
material type
thickness
length and width (to generate a periphery or total tool/waterjet travel)

I know the inches per minute the waterjet/machine travels based on the different thicknesses or material types, but I just don't know how to put this in excel formula form. Probably the wrong forum but I figured mechanical engineers would know what I'm trying to do. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you write the mathematical formula on paper?

If so, this is pretty trivial. Set up cells as inputs and one cell with the equation as the output.

start with a speed of 1.000. make a table of how speed is modified for various thicknesses ie thickness in one column and a modifire next to each. make a similar table of how speed is modified for various materials. use two VLookup formulas to pick two modifiers based on thickness and material. multiply.

There's quite a lot more to calculating machine run time than what you're suggesting. (Cut length x feed rate) + travel time = run time. Cut length will vary by part complexity as will travel time.

Any decent CAM program will output run time. I'd suggest starting there and adding a small margin of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back