Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excell/API/Macro/Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krywarick6

Automotive
Jun 9, 2003
CA
I'm writing a macro within Excel. When I transfer a cell value into a SolidWorks model dimension I divide the cell value by 1000 to get a millimeter value for the model, as in the following example:

Part.Parameter("Dim@Sketch@Model.SLDPRT").SystemValue = [cell].Value / 1000

This works fine for linear dimensions.

Problem: I want to transfer an angular value. I can't seem to figure out what the relationship is during the transfer. For instance, when I want to transfer the value of 36°, it transforms into 2063°.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a conversion factor? It doesn't appear to even be a radian value, ie. 36/360*2pi = .628pi. The closest that I can get is (36/1000) * (36/2), but this yields 37°+.

I'm totally baffled.

Regards,

Christopher Zona
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario, Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Actually it is a Radian value.

1 Radian = 360/2pi = 360/2/pi = 57.29577951°

So your angular cell conversion should be Value/(360/(2pi))

Proof:- 2063/57.29577951 = 36.00614247
Note; the 2063° figure you quote, must have been rounded off.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

Great! Worked like a charm. The question now is how to do I put pi into my code?

I tried using pi() as you would type it into a cell formula but the macro doesn't like that.

For now I am using 3.14159, which close enough. It returns 35.99996959deg, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and would like to see 36.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Z

Could you put pi() into another cell & reference it to the cell which is used in the macro?

Or use 3.14159265358979..........

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

Perhaps you could do the calculating in Excel. Excel has functions for converting radians to degrees and vice-versa. Excel also has a function for [π].

Maybe it would help to buffer the data transfer. Pass the Excel cell values to a variable, then pass the variable value to the SolidWorks entity.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back