Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhaust Gas Analyzer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyerighley

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2009
ZA
Hi Guys,

I do my own tuning of my 2 stroke off road bike, I would like to add an exhaust gas analyzer to my arsenal. I am lookig into building a dyno, and have found plenty of info on this topic. I would howevere also lik eto look into a exhaust gas analyzer. Has anybody ever built their own exhaust gas analyzer using a lamda or wideband O2 sensor? Also, if anyone has built their own data aqcuisition system for use on a dyno that would also help.

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Haven't done it, but on a 2-stroke engine, expect the short-circuiting of raw air/fuel across the piston to cause a wide-band sensor to read a false lean condition. I've not seen lambda or wide-band sensors used on 2-stroke engines. (I have one for setting up my four-stroke bike engines.)

The sensor measures oxygen, not fuel. An unburned mixture of air and fuel, even if it is chemically stoichiometric or rich (just not burned), is read by the sensor as lean.

There's a little more to it than that. I'll give the Cole's Notes version. A UEGO sensor has a standard zirconia sense cell that operates at lambda=1. There is some intricate circuitry onboard the sensor as well as off-board on the controller that functions to control two pumping cells that are incorporated into the sensor along with the sense cell. The pumping cells are controlled to pump oxygen into or out of the sense cell to maintain the sense cell at lambda=1. The sense cell is sampling the exhaust gas, of course. The current required to pump oxygen into or out of the sense cell is measured and correlated to the percent oxygen in excess or falling short of lambda=1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back