Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhaust gas properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcomyn

Marine/Ocean
Sep 28, 2006
CA
I'm working on a calculation of diesel exhaust system back pressure and was wondering if there were any values for gas densities and viscosity? Or are the properties for air at exhaust temperatures close enough?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there:

When considering Diesel engine operation, an ideal cycle approach might be sufficient to get you initial density values.

Therefore, I would suggest that you use ideal gas state equation when calculating density values:

pv = RT

p/density = RT

Go with air properties -- ignore the impact of fuel on the working fluid (combustion products).

Thanks,

Gordan

For the products of lean/stoich combustion (e.g. your average diesel and/or gas these days), the mean molecular weight is that of air (28.8 ish). No need for compensation. However, Cp will vary if you are doing compressible flow calc.

My Pratt & Whitney Aeronautical Handbook has gas properties for the combustion products of paraffin hydrocarbon (C(n)H(2n+2)) in air and at 100% theoretical air (stoichiometric), 200% theoretical air (probably close to actual diesel engine operation at rated power), and 400% theoretical air.

The info is used by turbine engine engineers, and my guess is that you should look for turbine engine data resources to get similar data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back