Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhaust System for Refrigerant Storage Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper_1

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2017
US
I need to specify an exhaust system, with refrigerant monitoring, for a maintenance shop where workers will be storing refrigerant canisters and recharging equipment. Does anyone know which code(s) would govern this situation?

I'm thinking I need to use ASHRAE 15, and base calculations on the amount of refrigerant in the largest storage tank in the room.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CGA document SB-2 2007 published by ANSI may be of some help too.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Hard to tell from your description, but I think you will actually end up using the fire code and not the mechanical code.

If you were talking about an actual chiller or refrigeration machine, then you would have to follow your mechanical code, which likely has a section on refrigeration machinery rooms that basically copies ASHRAE 15. You also should check the fire code - building services section to see if your type of refrigeration setup is covered exclusively in the mechanical code or not.

If this isn't a refrigeration cycle/system, then it is more likely that you have to comply with building code and fire code requirements for storing hazardous materials. Which is covered in the fire code chapters 50 and on, depending on if the refrigerant is flammable, combustible, toxic, unstable, etc.

ASHRAE 15 is a guideline, one that is very commonly adopted into most building codes, but is not a code in itself.

GT-EGR,
There won't be any operating chiller or refrigeration machines. Just canisters or refrigerant and chillers which are being serviced and recharged. Refrigerants are primarily R-22 and R-410.

At this point you have to find your applicable mechanical code section and see if you interpret this as being included.

IMC 2015 chapter 11 starts with a scope descriptions saying it applies to refrigeration systems and also any permanently installed storage systems and “other components”

IMC 2015 is the applicable code for the location. Chapter 11 may not cover exactly the same scenario (these are portable canisters, not a permanent system), however the hazards appear to be similar. I'm thinking follow Ch. 11 and try and get concurrence from the AHJ to that approach.

before you get too involved, get if can material safety data sheets (MSDS's)on those two refrigerants. These MSDS's should have the permissible exposure limits for an 8 hours words or they may have permissible exposure limits for a 15 minute excurtion into the work environment. Then you can select a ventilation air flow of fresh air that will maintain an air quality for the occupants not to exceed the permissible exposure limits. If you have a chance to visit for a somewhat similar comparison is the fresh air ventilation system employed in rooms of sewage treatment plants that have chlorine tanks needed to disinfect sewage water before released to nearby rivers.

With system failure I would get out as quickly as possible since no reasonable ventilation system for a work environment can handle a rupture. Tank failure has not been suggested in the OP. I am referring to normal work conditions same as with chlorinators in sewage treatment plants. Detectors will set up alarms and activate forced airflows system. Obviously emergency air breathing equipment should also be provided and worn when entering a work environment in which the automatic detector was triggered.

The document I referenced above covers tank leakage and failure.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back