Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exhaust systems-design

Status
Not open for further replies.

local19

Military
Sep 13, 2006
US
Background:

11 story building-condos
trash chute and recycle chute traverses all 11 floors
three exhaust systems on floors-toilet, dryer and kitchen to a common duct chase up to 3 roof fans.

Owner (and owner's engineer) wants to exhaust the trash / recycle chutes with the exhaust ducts (dryer, kitchen & toilet) on the floors. They propose tieing in to these exhaust systems.

My understanding of the IMC is: all must be individual exhaust systems with a make up air to the trash / recycle chutes.

I believe I'm reading it correctly. Comments, PLEASE !!

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your interpretation is correct. I couldn't find a specific requirement on recycle/trash area exhausts but all others you mention say explicitly that they are to be dedicated systems -- very clearly!! Especially, you do not want the kitchen tied in with anything else, but there are equally valid reasons for all of these to be dedicated.

that would be close to criminal activity: by all other arguments, kitchen exhaust is also potential fire hazard because of inevitable greasy layers in ducts, especially if not cleaned regularly.

particle or dust exhaust fan must have special construction, details of which i cannot elaborate quickly, just to say it must be specified for particle exhaust.

if necessary, arrest that guys! you are the military, aren't you.
[sunshine]

I do not know about Pennsylvania codes, but most trash Chute codes have the following verbiage on vents:
Vent: Chute shall extend full diameter through roof to metal top vent cap 4’-0” above roof level with counter flashing and insect screen.
There is also the little matter of fire suppression devices. If they are activated you definitely do not want anything blowing air into that chute.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back