Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Existing Concrete Like Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How old? Some early cements, depending on the source, did not have the proper pozolanic qualities. I've encountered fieldstone foundation walls in early barns and buildings where the 'mortar' has disappeared over time.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Apparently this is buried concrete. The concrete surface should be protected against aggressive soils , with a few measurements ( external bitumen epoxy paint , membrane protection , the use of SR cement..)
In this case , my opinion is sulphate and salt content of the soil is the reason.
Probably 5-7 cm interior could be still intact .

I have seen similar case in KSA at buried concrete elements.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Thanks! The column was buried so sulfate attack sounds reasonable. Would this happen even to concrete that is the proper exposure class for chloride exposure? Or is it a sign than the wrong exposure class was used?

We don't know enough to make further useful comments. What is the actual environmental exposure, rather than assumed? What is the aggregate reactivity? What is the actual mix design/ cement blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back