Existing Grout Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce_man

Structural
Apr 14, 2020
US
Hello,

I am having an issue with column base plates showing grout fracturing and chipping out. The contractor used leveling plates to set the grout prior to erecting steel columns. The grout is now showing signs of damage after erection of columns and framing, but even prior to pour slabs. The source of the deficiency seems to be that the grout was place prior to erection and plumbing of columns, rather than after. In any case, we would like to test the grout for its strength.

Can anyone point me to an ASTM or test method for testing in-situ grout strength? No cubes or sample were taken at the time the grout was placed. The specified thickness is 1.5" and this is even variable in the field. I have been told they could use a windsor probe test, but it is my understanding this is not the typical application for that test, and we may fall outside typical test standards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What will testing the grout do? Even if you have 12,000psi grout, you probably had an uneven surface which resulted in high stress in some very small areas. Poisson did his work and..POP!

The grout needs to be removed and then placed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back