Existing Utility Location Data Sources 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Callery

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2021
US
Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me where Civil Engineers access drawings showing the locations of existing utilities in/ around a building site? I suspect that it might be any number of municipal agencies, based on where I'm located, but if someone can give me a idea of where to start, it would help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting. Would would you expect to find similar maps for other utilities like water, power, and data?

Also, do you have any advice on how I might would attain this information in AutoCAD format?

Will Callery:
Don’t want much, do you? Ask the agency when you find the map. Maybe they will do your design for you and send it to you free, with a purty bow around it.

In NYC there are publicly and privately owned utilities. Each owner provides us with their plates. Unfortunately, they never give us any CAD files; we have to plot everything on our drawings.

[ul]
[li]GIS and as-built plans for city owned utilities such as water, sewer, traffic signals are only sometimes available and only within right of ways.[/li]
[li]maps for private utilities such as cable and telephone and sometimes gas and electric are available from the utility owner[/li]
[li]many underground facilities on a building site are only available from the building owner.[/li]
[li]call before you dig only notifies the utility owners that are registered to mark out lines, but does not guarantee you will get any sort of map[/li]
[/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back