Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exlar Roller Screw Actuators

Status
Not open for further replies.

caravoy

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2005
US
Anyone with experience using Exlar brand actuators (or any roller screw actuator for that matter)? I'm just curious as to reliability, duty rating, etc for foundry duty applications (i.e. very dirty, hot, abusive, etc.) Thanks.

Caravoy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Caravoy, I assume you are talking about a linear actuator-if you are I've had some bad experience with them in a steel mill application. I can't say whether they were the same brand you are inquiring about or not. They were installed and used only a short while and then replaced with hydraulic cylinders with temposonics which have worked out real well. Maytag

About the only electric actuator I know of that holds up in a foundry is the RACO. But you better have deep pockets.

I have never used the Exlar but looking on the website I see that they have an aluminum extrusion for the housing. I really like aluminum in a bunch of applications, just not in a foundry.

The hydraulic cylinder would probably be the most cost effective.

Barry1961

Thanks. I was looking to replace hydraulic cylinders running off servo valves and using temposonics and hopefully go electric. Sounds like the industry is just not at that point yet. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back