Expander sealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancsco

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2003
US
Hi all,
I need some advise on the sealing of a steam expander.
This expander is used in a power generation unit and it runs contiuously. It was running in a fair condition before and now suddenly there was a time when there was a sudden incerase in temperature of incoming steam cos of which the performance has deteriorated. I cannot stop the expander as it has to be running continuously and there is no backup unit for this one. After analyzing the flow rates and pressure buildups I have come to a conclusion that the performance drop is due to the gaps formed inside the expander. From my calculation the gaps cannot be more than 0.002-0.003". Is there any way to put some kind of sealant downstream with the steam and let it fill the gaps.
Operating conditions are
Temperature -250 F
Pressure -250 psi
RPM 3000
Any help in suggesting sealants that can work in the above operating conditions is greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are saying that you want to inject some type of sealant into the steam to fill the gaps of .002-.003" in an expander turning how fast??? I'm thinking a scheme like this will solve your problem, because when whatever material anyone might suggest to do this hits the tight clearances in a machine turning this fast, after the wreck, and the subsequent overhaul, you will have your original clearances restored, and hence, be back to your original performance.

My vote is "not a good idea."

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back