Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding Adhesives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tffy

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2006
US
Hi everyone. I'm trying to fill in a post-casting gap between two materials of differing CTEs, in a closed environment.

I'm looking for some sort of a slow cure (about 4 hours at appoximately 200 degrees F) adhesive that expands upon cure. Do any such materials exist out there?

Thanks a bunch!

Just to make sure, the adhesive does not need to be heat-activated, it's just it will have to cure in a high-temperature environment. Ideally it'd be a two-part mix adhesive.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it is possible.

Some cylcic monomers expand when cured. There are some epoxies that do, I know as I once worked with a man who was developing them for dental adhesives.

Probably the easiest way to get expansion during cure is through expandable microbeads that expand when heated. You can add these to a normal adhesive formulation. The best known in Expancel from Akzo Nobel, contact for more information.

Micro beads are also available in McMaster Carr and most boat dealers from West Systems Epoxies.

Absolutely the right thing, as the adhesiveexotherms, the airin the beads expands a little...It is generally the ingredient in an expanding non-foaming type material.

Sounds interesting panel guy. I haven't seen that type of bead. The beads I mentioned are an alkane (like gasoline) microencapsulated in a thin polymer shell. When heated the liquid boils and the beads expand to 40x their original volume. You can get different beads depending what expansion temperature you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back