Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding Photopolymer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkan

Bioengineer
Jan 8, 2011
GR
Hello everyone,

I have already asked a couple of polymer experts about this and I didn't get an answer, but I have found time and again that if no one can help you, Eng Tips is the way to go :D

Anyway, I am in need of a UV curing photopolymer that expands during polymerization. Now ideally, I would like it to cure in near-UV wavelengths and double its volume. I know masterbond has some products that cure in 405 nm instead of the classic 365 but I am not aware of any polymer that expands during polymerization. However, it is also ok if the expansion is the product of bubble formation due to the release of a gas during polymerization.

Has anyone heard of anything similar to this?

Thanks in advance,

George

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Henkel is big into UV cure adhesives. They might be worth a look.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you for your replies!

Demon3, I was thinking about doing something like that. My thought was to mix some silver nitrate or some other substance that reacts when exposed to light and use it to create tiny bubbles in the polymer. Are you talking about something like that or did you have some other additive in mind?

Best,

George

Hi,

No, I am afraid it didn't work. I did not try expancel microspheres as the temperatures were too high for my setup.

Best,

George

What exactly is the purpose of the expansion? Perhaps some information about it might suggest an alternative, like spray foam insulation or Gorilla glue

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Gkan,
Dr.Demon is right about the contraction.
Be ware of the UV if it need to pass a layer of medium like glass or transparent plastics. The UV curing effect can drop a lot. We thought about similar stuff before but was not lucky . That was several years ago though as things may change. There was a Germany company (masterbond?) making various types UV curable plastics and will help R&D.
Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back