Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Expansion Joint Location-1 story steel braced frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astructengr

Structural
Jun 20, 2022
US
I have a 1 story, steel braced frame building. Overall dimensions are 385' by 140'. There are (2) 18'x30' corridors that connect the different wings of the facility. Should those corridors be separated from the main wings by expansion joints? If so, would it be advisable to connect the corridor framing with slotted holes in the east-west direction but tie into the main diaphragm in the north-south direction? There is little room for a moment frame in the north-south direction as the corridors are mostly glass and column depth is limited to 6" in that direction.

I know you can usually go up to 400' in a steel building without expansion joints, but that assumes a mostly rectangular building.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=595d0617-5333-48ed-bd5d-61211bdb110d&file=Expansion_Joint-1_Story_Steel-Braced_Frame.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd likely isolate the 'middle' building. Each end is fairly rigid and the juncture of the middle part makes a good joint location. I'd use two joints.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I'd provide two EJ's with slotted holes in E-W direction. One at the right of left corridor, the other at the left of right corridor.

Say my opinion only..

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back