Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expansion Joints & Flexible Connectors -- Temperature Rating TOLERANCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenote49

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2013
SA
How much percentage tolerance I can use in choosing the temperature rating of a FLEXIBLE CONNECTOR to be used for HOT WATER PIPING. Is there any standard or code for this? Please specify. The HOT WATER TEMPERATURE IS 82 deg Celsius, while the product that I'm planning on buying is WEICCO FLEXIBLE CONNECTOR having a rating of 105 deg Celsius. Would this be technically acceptable?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to check whether the temperature rating of the WEICCO connector is satisfactory at all of the operating conditions (pressure, fatigue, misalignment, etc) your application requires.

The only drawback I can see with using a connector that is a bit overrated for your application is a slightly higher cost for the part. A connector qualified for use in a 105degC hot water system would likely need to be capable of handling elevated fluid pressures, since this hot water system would need to be pressurized to prevent cavitation problems. With your hot water system designed to operate at a nominal 82degC, a logical upper temperature tolerance limit would be a bit less than 100degC at any point in the circuit. Of course, you must also consider what your lower temperature might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back