Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expansion Joints Vs. Expansion loops 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rruipere1

Petroleum
Oct 30, 2007
US
Hello tippers,

I have some kind of dilemma: when to use Expansion Joints or loops for cryogenic service, specifically LNG. I have gotten to the conclusion that expansion joints are cheaper, but if you have space you shold go for loops, that are better. Let me know about your thoughts. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi rruip,
There have been a few discussions about this over on the pipe and fluid mechanics forum. Almost identical question here:

The concensus is to use loops since expansions joints are prone to failure. I'd agree. For uninsulated or just foam insulated piping, the expansion loop is the best way to go.

The only time I've used something other than a loop is for pump suction lines which might be flexible metal hose, with or without braid reinforcement.

There is an issue however with vacuum jacketed piping and pressure vessels. Often times there is limited room inside the jacket for loops. Most VJ piping manufacturers use expansion joints throughout the piping. They can be either on the outer or inner line, there isn't a real standard for this. I've seen both.

Another location for expansion joints is on large diameter lines on tanks with relatively small annular space between the inner and outer vessels. In these situations, an expansion joint is often used, though it is not preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back