Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Expansion of an existing facility Civil Site Grading and Drainage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

e104909

Civil/Environmental
Aug 13, 2011
US
I am working on a project in Kermit and Wink, TX. I was looking for a drainage manual or any drainage design criteria but it seems the entire county does not have any concerns regarding floods in their areas and I cant find any city drainage manual. I've been looking in google maps and can't see any canals nor any inlets that will channel storm water to somewhere and contain it.

I’m working on an expansion of an existing oil and gas facility. This project is a very small portion of their existing facility (Approximately less than a quarter of their existing facility). They are supposed to grade it and construct a detention pond so the water from the North-East in addition to theirs will channel to this pond and therefore contain it rather than building this expansion that will dump water to their future neighbors. The current and existing grade is now flowing towards the adjacent vacant lot. But the client doesn't seem to like building ponds and what's necessary.

My question is, am I violating anything and we can get sued for not planning anything for this water flow in our area? Just want to get your thoughts if I am overthinking this or if should I be worried about future issues once the neighbor in the vacant lot starts to build his property and will file a complaint about this water being dumped on his property. Please note that it's not really a steep slope to the adjacent lot but is minimally graded towards it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Neat Link...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Typically, there is a minimum square footage of impervious material introduction that triggers the necessity for detaining stormwater and then releasing it at the predevelopment rate. Call the state environmental department for guidance. They will happily direct you to the requirements.

This being oil and gas, there may be additional pollution monitoring conditions of the permit depending on the activities at the location.

your client will need to comply with NPDES / SWPPP requirements (state / federal laws) which would require some grading and drainage improvements
in general, diverting water away from the natural watercourse or outfall location is not recommended and surface water flows should be discharged to the original discharge point (low point)

you can usually rely on the DOT requirements to be adequate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back