Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Experience needed for PE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE123

Electrical
Mar 21, 2006
US
I have a question regarding the required experience needed to take the PE exam. Currently I am attending graduate school in Midwest. At the same time I am working with a MEP company out in California. Basically I am doing their lighting, single line diagrams, …. All these are ofcourse being done via e-mail and AutoCAD files (and phone conferencing). I will get done with school on December 2006, and will move to California to work with them onsite. Does anyone know if the work I am doing right now would count as a work experience toward the PE exam qualification.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the following:
1. You have passed the EIT.
2. You are taking an Engineering curriculum in graduate school (rather than an MBA, for example)

In most states, a certain amount of your graduate school time (probably a year or so) will count as experience for the PE.

As for your work, you can't "double count" your time - so it is either "work" OR "school", not both at the same time. As far a getting "credit" for the work you describe, that depends on factors such as:
1. Specific state regulations.
2. How you describe the work on your application.
3. How your boss and/or references comment on the work.

Check with the board now, rather than later.

[idea]

In Michigan, you can double count. If you are working, you get credit for the years that you work. If you get a Master's degree, it counts for one year of experience. If you get a PhD, it counts for one more year.

I know this because I was able to take the PE after only 3 years. I accomplished this by doing my Master's at night while working full time.

I can't speak for other states though.

I would suggest you contact the California state board (if that is where you want your PE from). They are the final say in all matters PE for California.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

In most states, for your experience to count, it must be under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer.

Some states are tight with experience requirements while others are somewhat lax. As SRE said, check now rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back