Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explain this Refrigeration Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKEP9

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2018
CA
refrig_schematic_for_labtech_unit-page-001_mc5xsu.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's got just about everything.

The "Water Reg Valve" seems to be in the wrong line.

Connecting a glycol loop to the same valve as city water is probably not legal. At least not without some form of backflow prevention.

It would have been nice to have the cold evaporator box notated.

Not sure why you can't just use the chilled water directly, but I suppose there's a temperature difference.

Looks fairly standard.

Is there something in particular you don't understand?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Little; No chilled water, it's hot, they're using it to hall away the heat.

Having city water used as condenser water would get you shot in a lot of places.

Mint said:
Liquid injection to reduce temperature of the suction.
Really? I'd think hot gas ahead of the condenser would be used instead.

Keith Cress
kcress -

itsmoked - the diagram says " chilled glycol supply / Return". Hence my comment about the chilled water. It implies there is a further chiller off the diagram somewhere.

Maybe the back up is to use city water to cool it down but we're missing a whole heap of information.... Or feedback from the OP...

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I understand the basic refrigeration cycle components, but was confused about the top (cut off) part and the glycol loop at the bottom.
For the top bypass line that is chopped off, I don't know what it is supposed to say so was hoping someone may have a better idea.
For the glycol loop, is this condenser just heating my chilled glycol supplied? I just figured the city water backup was used to make up for low flow scenarios.
Agreed the water regulating valve is in incorrect location.

Mint is exactly right.

The liquid is to cool the returning gas to the compressor during hot gas operation. That liquid delivered to the return gas line provides the ONLY cooling to the motor. It would toast quickly without that cooling. The sensor for that t-stat is attached to the suction line near the compressor.

The valve that can't be seen is called a "De-Superheat Solenoid Valve". (Looks like the first three letters are DES")

The pig tail in that line is the required flow control to limit the liquid flow. It is likely, in this case, to be a capillary tube due to the drawing.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I would have put it more like the glycol is cooling the condenser, though that will heat up the glycol, the process requirement is to cool the condenser.

I took the city water as a backup supply of "cool" water in the event that the glycol supply dies.

Yep Little. Often in big facilities like, say, a hotel there is a big chiller that cools everything but a kitchen walk-in box needs to get much colder than the chiller's loop. They then use the chiller's loop to carry away the walk-in heat so they don't have to duct a bunch of hot air some way out of the building.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back