Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explanation of Air Cleaner Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exocet

Electrical
Feb 7, 2002
US
Can someone please explain the circuit operation for an Air Cleaner.

Basically on the voltage on the primary side of the transformer is 3500V and on the secondary side, one voltage rail is 9600V and the other rail is 3500V with load.
Between the 2 rails you have 2 branches of a diode and capacitor. One branch the anode of the diode is back to back with the cap and the other branch the cathode of the diode is back to back with the cap. In the first brach the node with the anode of the diode and the cap are tied to ground.

The voltage rail with the 3500V has a 226Meg ohm resistor, probably to hold the cap voltage (RC time constant).

These 2 branches are probably to rectify the alternating current and to hold the voltage.

And I believe with no load the voltage across the rails is 7500-8500V.

Just need to understand what is happening in the circuit and to better troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds to me like a negative Ion generator that uses about 7500v to a sharp pin-farm or nail. The ions should be streaming off the point. If you can, touch the point while it's running and you should taste metal or a metallic flavor. If you do, it's a negative ion generator such as sold by IONIC breeze and others. I think the cap, diode connection is a voltage quadrupler. So, I quess the secondary is multiplied by four. This is a very old design that was developed around 1855, I think. I'll get you the name when I remember it. P.S., I shouldn't have suggested touching it, be VERY careful and make sure someone is with you to resuscitate you if you play with it. The 266 MEG resister should limit current to nothing; but, be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back