Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

explanation of aluminium strengthening treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCivil

Civil/Environmental
Nov 13, 2012
NZ
I find myself often explaining to clients about aluminium strengthening methods (tempering, strain hardening, mostly)

im looking but cant find any videos of the processes being carried out. does anybody have any videos to share?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This 'simple question' is without a simple answer or examples... at least I'm not able to provide this insight in an abbreviated manner.

There are unique aspects to aluminum alloys that are NOT heat treatable, only strain hardenable... as-opposed to aluminum alloys that are heat treatable with/WO strain relief.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

I can't think of videos (but that would help, so I'm tempted to go looking, myself).
Perhaps you need to dumb it down a lot...

If your audience can read several technical pages, I recommend looking up AR-MMPDS or its predecessor MIL-HDBK-5. You can find these for free in various forms therefore if your search points you at a site asking payment, move on. Off the top of my head, I know ASSIST, Abbott Aero, and Everyspec should have a copies to download.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

yes, my audience is less than educated about aluminium.

that said, ive specified tons of 3000 and 5000 H series aluminium sheet, but have no idea how the producers harden these sheets before delivery. would be interested myself to see the processes

NC... Hmmmm... Sleeve-notes...

You mentioned You are a Civil Engineering weenie... and work a lot with 3xxx and 5xxx series aluminum alloys... which are typically wrought, then annealed, then strain-hardened [strengthened] by bi-axial stretching or compression X%. and have pretty remarkable corrosion resistance.

Heat treatable aluminum alloys 2xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx have far different strengthening protocols. Solution Heat Treat, quench, then heat/age harden [strengthen] to attain final temper. NOTE1: some creative forming and/or stretching may be done immediately after quench to improve several mechanical properties and eliminate warpage and minimize damage to grain structure that is evolving in the metallurgical transitions the materials are undergoing. Heat treated alloys provide amazing strength and durability at the 'cost' of necessary protective finishes [isolation by coatings and sealers]... and 'best fastening practices' for load-transfer and durability.

Might be useful, to get... and study carefully... copies of...

Aluminum Association [AA]...
'Introduction to Aluminum Alloys and Tempers'
'Aluminum Standards and Data'
'Aluminum Design Manual'
'Aluminum and It's Alloys'
'Tempers For Aluminum and Aluminum Alloy Products'
'AA H35.1 - American National Standard Alloy and Temper Designation Systems for Aluminum'
'AA H35.2 - Dimensional Tolerances for Aluminum Mill Products'
... and... also...
SAE AS1990 'Aluminum Alloy Tempers'

OH YEAH... for giggles, since You are a CE...
AA 'Aluminum in Bridge Construction: Perspective on Design, Construction and Performance'
AA 'Structural Design with Aluminum'

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back