Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

explicit-standard result transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan14

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2006
DE
hi all,

I have a problem that needs a first standard analysis followed by an explicit one. thus, i need to transfer my results from abaqus standard to explicit.
I read the documentation and i understood that i can do so by writing a restart file in the first standard analysis and apply an initial state field in the initial step of the explicit analysis.
here goes my procedure:
1. setup and solve the model with general static steps (standard analysis) and write the restart file. (call this job1)
2. copy the previous model into a new one, delete the general static steps and add explicit steps. apply also initial state field as the restart file from job 1.

when i try to run the second explicit model, an error occurs saying that abaqus can not currently transfer results between standard-standard or explicit-explicit. it can only do that between standard-explicit and vice versa.
But i am sure that one of my models is explicit and the other is standard.
any help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Alan

You don't state which version of ABAQUS you are using, but I have transferred results from Standard > Explicit and back again with no problems in v6.6-1.

I generally use part instances and import parts using the *INSTANCE and *IMPORT options. The only caveat in this case is that the name of the assembly (on the *ASSEMBLY line) must be consistent across the input files.

Also, what is the initial state field that you refer to?

Regards

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back