Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exploded views

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADSkills

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2007
US
I'm using V17. Is it possible to create different instances of exploded views with-in one assembly? Also why is it i can't select multiple parts and explode them from the stationary part, and they be relative to their mated part. Seem the only real way to have decent contol over how the parts exploded is part at a time. Also i notice you cant chose and sub-asm, you have to chose the parts with-in that sub-asm.

Maybe its my limited experience, but it seems that the function of creating exploded view, and it's flexibility is very limitied compared to other software. I'm curious also if its improved in the later versions now out?

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi CADSkills,

first; the exploded view environment did change a lot in version 18 and 19, it's much better now.

Because of this I'm not sure my posting will be totally correct, but I hope it helps you.

Different instances; I think you can, when you have made one instance, go to display configurations and save this one as a display configuration. Create the next and save it as another display configuration...

Selecting multiple parts, is this possible when you hold the ctrl or shift key?

And I'm not sure about V17, is there a button called 'bind subassembly'? This makes Solid Edge use the subassembly as is...

Good Luck, IJsbrand

Sorry, got interupted before. V17 and from what I gather before, exploding was a pain.

It's still not painless in V18 but a lot better.

From what I've seen at conferences etc V19 is another big step forward.

So this is one case where upgrading may help.

Do you understand how to make configurations?

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I didn't see a bind sub-asm command.

Thanks for the help. I found how to save different configs of an asm. So as to show different exploded components. I'll try it, but i'm also curious, will each config also remember what was hidden or supressed with-in each named config? So you dont have to hide components in the draft views (which is also a pain i've noticed)?

And you are correct, i'm catching on but exploding is definately cumbersome..especially in comparasion to SW, which i've always found to be very simple. I miss being able to just grab and move a part in an asm, w/o having to choose a command.

Upgrading to V20 would be at the top of my list..but unfortunatly, i've no say in when that will happen.

Solidworks 2005
Solid Edge V17

Yes, you can set a draft view to match a model config. Right click on the view, properties.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back