Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exploding Cell Phone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
"A girl has tragically died in India after a mobile phone she was using to watch cartoons suddenly exploded.

According to the police cited by the Hindustan Times, the mobile phone exploded most likely due to its battery overheating after “prolonged use”. "

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whatever the cause, the young girl didn't deserve to die for that...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

One of the problems I've seen with replacing cell phone batteries (and just about every other proprietary battery) is that with many phones, by the time they are old enough to need a battery replacement, it's almost impossible to find a genuine battery from the original manufacturer. Add to that the fact that places like Amazon allow sellers to lie about the batteries they sell (posting pictures of OEM batteries and shipping cheap knockoffs), makes this worse. Manufacturers use this as a method of forced obsolescence. But throwing away a $1000 phone because of a bad battery is stupid, to say the least. Yet another area (like right to repair) where governments really need to step in, IMHO.

Look at all of the e-bike battery fires that NYFD is reporting...I think it is up to 64 or 65 for the year so far and those fires have resulted in multiple injuries and 5 deaths. Either a lot of after market modifications, or the OEM equipment was not built in accordance with recognized standards. These are lithium ion batteries just like the phones, but with a lot more punch.

exploding phones were commonly used on Isreal against suspected terrorists, but using C4. An exploding video camera was used to kill the main competitor to osama bin laden in afganistan
2 days before 9/11

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

IRstuff,
My comment was about government ineffectiveness. Dangerous and illegal imports are government business, but they aren’t doing the job. Rhetoric is not enforcement.

As said above i suspect most of the fires are the result of homemade battery packs.

Per say the components are all perfectly safe and legal. Stick them together using the wrong methods and materials and tinker with settings and you have a fire in the making.

One of the three big lies... another one, "The cheque's in the mail."

-----*****-----

-Dik

An ad from one e-bike manufacturer that follows the product safety standards said that less than 15% of the e-bikes sold in the US follow the product safety standards. There is nothing to require the e-bike manufacturers to comply with those standards and they can reduce the production costs by not complying....most consumers only look at the price.

Yes the dangerous Li Ion battery's are everywhere. They brought down an UPS 747 years ago, that should have been an eye opener. Some years ago there was a rash of cell phones burning up for no reason, and portable computers.
Don't forget the folks injured from E cigs popping off.
Now there are house fires from electric lawn mowers and other such tools torching up. Some of the strange big fires that are even mentioned here could be from someones cordless drill left sitting some place.
Anything with a Li battery needs to be stored in a proper chimney equipped storage bunker if in a building. I'm surprised we don't hear of more big box stores that sell battery yard equipment and cordless tools burning.

I don't know, but if something causes it to heat up, I think you can have a 'runaway' type of reaction, whether it's plugged in or not. Just more likely for something to happen while it's plugged in, I suspect.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I recall the summary of a Lewis Larsen ( lattice energy) comparison of energy densities now available for commericial use, the method of increasing the energy density of lithium ion battteries involves rolling the battery components into a "jelly roll" , and if the battery is dropped or impacted then the spacing between the differnet jellyroll layers can be locally compromised, allowing a short dendrite crystal to span the layer and initiate a fire. The bottom line is - don't drop your batteries.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

davefitz said:
The bottom line is - don't drop your batteries.

Or drive it into a stationary object.

Chinese EV producers seems to be having a bit of trouble with their EV batteries. I don't know the number of fires they're having, but last year BYD (EV manufacturer) sold ~911k battery EVs. Yes, Teslas catch fire too, but at a much lower rate it would seem. Getting reliable numbers out of China might not be very straightforward though.

And electric motorcycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back