Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explosion Isolation Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

butlen

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2002
GB
I have been asked to compare the merits of installing an automatic explosion isolation valve (actuated on rate of change of pressure and IR camera), compared to a crimped ribbon detonation flame arrester. Extended burning is not an issue.

Medium is saturated methane+air with light particulate loading.

We currently use crimped ribbon arresters in parallel and clean them when necessary.

I have never used an automatic explosion isolation valve in practice, any advice from anyone who's used them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

butlen, We've utlized both fusible links and explosion isolation valves coupled with explosion suppresion systems. The fusible link advantage is its simplicity, disadvantage, speed of response which can be disasterous in some cases. As for the isolation valve, advantage is speed of response, disadvantage complexity and cost. Luckily, so far, we've never needed them.

The basic question that needs to be answered is, "How much and what kind of protection do you need and how much can you spend?"
As for the specifics, see the following site:

Hope this helps.
saxon

saxon

what is a fusible link? Is this a type of bursting disc?
The real question is - I know a crimped ribbon flame arrester will work if it is maintained properly - it is a passive device, how reliable could I expect an explosion isolation valve to be in service, - ie when I really need it to work?

"How much and what kind of protection do you need and how much can you spend?"

I need a high level of protection, but I already have a deflagration arrester at the source of ignition, a detonation arrester in the feed line and multiple slam shut valves which close before detection of a flammable mixture.
I think that this is an appropriate level of protection but someone else wants to put additional explosion islation valve in. I don't think that an additional expensive valve is necessary, especially because I have doubts about its ability to acually work when required. Money is not really a problem but I dont want to throw money away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back