Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explosion panels for tray drier

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaxion

Chemical
Apr 18, 2003
IN
We are looking for more information on the explosion panel meant for venting any excess presuure developed in tray driers due to over heating or abnormal conditions during frying operation.
Is there a specific norm about the material of construction of these explosion panels, or what should be the design criteria such as the design pressure, size and thickness of the panels and what should be the best location of the said panel in case of a tray drier. Can any one throw more light on this, and also whether we can insulate the part of the area covered under the explosion panel?
Shailesh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reaxion!

Though explosion panels are compulsory for FBDs, I never saw one installed for a tray dryer. Is it not a vacuum tray dryer? Howmuch pressure rise do you foresee?

Once I attended a presentation by Glatt (in India they have a joint venture with PAM) where the showed the extensive research carried out on this subject. Check their website or try contacting PAM.

You should not insulate the area covered under explosion panel.

Regards,

Explosion panels are meant for just that purpose .. explosions

Essentially they introduce a weak spot into whichever equipment they are installed so in the event of a large pressure rise the panel blows open rather than the equipment itself.

Sizing of these are best done by the equipment supplier, I seem to remember that most suppliers do offer a panel suitable for vacuum if that is what you require.

Remember that these type of panels are use once and then replace, if the overpressure is caused by regular abnormal process conditions rather than an explosion maybe you could consider other equipment that will not require replacing once its done its job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back