Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explosive consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

embomech

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2014
GB
Hi I am doing a little work the Life Cycle Assessment on diamond mining. I am trying to find a 'rule of thumb' for the tonne of rock mined, compared to the tonne of rock processed (so that I can work out on average how much explosive is used per carat of diamond). Is there a general rule that I could apply - say for every tonne of procssed ore, it is likely that X more tonnes were blasted.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well good luck with that. I don't think Ive ever seen a value for explosive consumption per unit of end product and its not difficult to understand why. What mining method are we talking about?? Block caving has almost zero explosive consumption for primary breaking whereas sublevekl stoping has significant powder usage. What is the local geology..... if its a standard kimberlte pipe then with knowledge of the mining method any competant mining engineer could make the calculations whereas if its a reef type deposit (Snap Lake) the computed values per tonne will be totally different. How many kimberlite pipes are within the mine plan and what is the distance betwen them, because this defines the lateral extent of the workings on each level and development tends to very heavy on powder usage. What is the depth of the deposit because this tends to dramatically influence the length of the access ramp. And if you are talking open pit mining, then all previous comments are irrelevant and a totally different set of circumstances have to be evaluated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back