Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export ASM as workable format

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatever159

Computer
Apr 26, 2010
GB
Hi guys, I'm trying to export an ASM file into something useable (stl, obj), keeping all of the parts as seperate objects. I have managed to export the whole ASM as an STL but it's just a mess of vertices, and I can't select individual elements.

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, I tried (in ST2) to save assembly in STEP. Save As -> Save As Translated -> STEP documents -> Save. Then Open -> name.stp -> sync iso assembly.asm (template) -> I can select individual parts ...

Thanks for the reply.

When I try to export as a STEP it says : "This model contains no bodies. An output file will not be generated"

Which I don't quite understand as it exports as a solid in STL format.

To make it slightly clearer what exactly my purpose is, I want to be able to load the full asm assembly in 3ds Max, and be able to select individual elements...

Thanks again,

Try Parasolid, so long as whoever is 'receiving' can handle parasolid. Parasolid tends to do better than step or iges etc.

However, for complex items even parasolid sometimes falls down.

I had to save some parts of an assy individually a few weeks ago because when I did it as part of an assy they wouldn't come through into the other users CAD package.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

For transfering data to 3ds max, the only built in formats that both SE and max support AFAIK are either STL or IGES.
Both these will give you similar problems in 3ds max and you will not be able to select individual parts. As you have seen already.

A great solution for transfering data between any MCAD system and 3ds max is PolyTrans from Okino

This will take the SE Assembly straight in and then allow you to save out a 3ds max file.

Jon Sutcliffe / Solid Mastermind
The Solid Edge Community. Video training sessions, best practice documents, process maps and interactive training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back