Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Parasolid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilviaYs

Bioengineer
Jan 21, 2009
BE
I've imported in UNIGRAPHIC an .stl file that comes from MIMICS and I wuold like to export my object from UNIGRAPHIC as a parasolid, but this
it seems impossible because the program doesn't recognise my object as a solid.
Do you know a way to convert my object in a solid body and then continue to export the object as a parasolid? or, another way to obtain a parasolid?
Thanks!!!
Silvia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
IF the surfaces built following the original file do share edges within the appropriate tolerance, and IF there isn't any "artifact" or trimming issue, then you can "SEW" the surfaces together in order to obtain a solid.

Regards

Thanks,
what do you mean with "SEW": have I to sew each piece of the surface to the other or is it possible to do it all togheter?
Thanks,
Silvia

You may need to sew a little bit at a time, but not necessarily one at a time.
What I do is pick the first sheet body (aka surface) and then sew to it all the sheet bodies that are touching it.
You can try to sew it all together at once at see what happens, you will only get an error that some sheet bodies are disjointed and cannot be sewn, which is not a big deal. If that happens you just sew the disjointed bodies from the rest of them on your next sew operation.

Hi,
I've just tried to do what you tell me, but the program doesn't allows me because recognises my object as a "faced body".
I really don't know what to do and how to convert my object in a solid body!
thanks to all,
Silvia

Ooops, sorry, forgot to switch on sufficient attention before posting my first answer... ;-)
Yeah, the "STL" files are stereolythography files which end up being faceted... Jerry1423 is thus perfectly right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back