Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export STEP file from Creo to Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKrol

Petroleum
Jan 4, 2018
NO
Hi guys,

I have received a STEP file that had been exported from Creo. It is going to be used to run a flow simulation in Solidworks.

When I import the file into Solidworks and run geometry check I get plenty of zero thickness geometry errors.

Do I have to fix all the errors on part level or is there any faster way to handle the problem?

Why do I see so many zero thickness errors after importing the file into Solidworks?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would request a Parasolid over a STEP. Both SW and CREO are built off the Parasolid kernel and you might get a better model without all the issues. However, that may not be true and if CREO is allowing Zero thickness areas to be created, then SW is going to throw a fit about it.

The question I have is the model all surface data or is it solid? SW prefers Solids over surface data. I don't think FEA will work well with surfaces only, but then again I have never tried it. I always try to get all my models back to solids before I move forward with anything else. If it's not erroring out and you have a solid to work with, you might still be able to get an FEA to work.

Do you know what a zero thickness error is? If not, (as an example) its the intersection of two circles touching. Its really just a point where two edges meet and SW sees that as zero thickness.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your answer.

Finally I have managed to find out how to handle the whole thing. So, the file in Creo has to be modified using 'Shrinkwrap' function that creates merged solid. After exporting such a modified file there are no zero-thickness or any other errors present in the model. From now on the file can be successfully used in CFD simulations.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back