Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Export to Revit

Status
Not open for further replies.

geesamand

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2006
US
I have some customers who use BIM software like Revit.

I recently tried sending .SAT files of a 3D assembly but they couldn't import it. Then I tried .DWG files (confirmed in AutoCAD 2015) but again no joy.

Does anyone have a bulletproof, one-step conversion method? Ideally it would work on most BIM softwares and not just Revit.

Thanks,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked once for a place that had architects, it was tough for this very reason, I think Revit is locked down purposely to force you to use AutoDesk products (supposedly Inventor plays decently with Revit)

Anyways, the only way I was able to get anything into Revit was by exporting it was stl if I remember correctly, then processing it through freecad to another format, then into Revit, not clean at all

I worked with another group of architects that used Vectorworks and they were able to import step files and export parasolid, so that was much better

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY BLANK

Interesting. We may have an Inventor license still in our company, so I could try exporting from Creo to Inventor using STEP or Parasolid, then look into how to get it from Inventor to Revit.

It's crappy of Autodesk to do this, because our customers are saying "hey I want to buy a pump, I download the model and pull it directly into Revit, but you can't do that?" Well, yes that's current the situation because Revit is one of the only programs that won't take CAD interchange data formats!

geesamand said:
because Revit is one of the only programs that won't take CAD interchange data formats!
well that is part of the problem, you are thinking Revit is a CAD program, its not its architectual design or BIM, I dont think Autodesk intended Revit to go into all the places its gone, but since they captured the marketshare where they didnt intend they just adapted and ran with the new customers (I wouldnt turn down money either)

I know a lot of CE and MEP engineers use it, but its such hot garbage I will never understand why, I can pump out a design and drawing so much faster in Proe that will give me so much more design data AND that I can use in the future

I used to "gently" rib the MEP and structural guys about their "CAD" revit

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY BLANK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back