Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting a surface model as an stl

Status
Not open for further replies.

dans95

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2006
US
Anyone know the trick to export a surfaces only model to stl file format in Solidworks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surfaces are not solids. STL is a solid file format, though unsuitable for much of anything except direct use in a rapid prototyping machine. For exporting to dumb solids you would be much better off saving the file in Parasolid or ACIS formats, especially if sending it to an RP house.

As for getting your surfaces to a solid file you will will need to knit/close the surfaces and tell SWX to make it into a solid body, then you can save it out as a dumb solid.

- - -Updraft

Updraft,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am well aware of the difference between a solid model and a surface model. However, for what I need to do I must have an STL file with open geometry, think of a cup where the cylinder and the bottom are just surfaces i.e. zero thickness. It can be done, we have a file. I just don't know how it was done. I need to create updated versions and the guy that did the 1st one is no longer here.

dans95,

I just made a simple open box out of surfaces and then selected Save As -> STL and created a file. I then opened that file in SWX to verify that it worked. I don't do much with surfaces so that explains the perspective in my first reply, but, due to your challenge, I learned something new today.

As to your original question - have you tried Save As -> STL? It just worked for me.

- - -Updraft

Save As- Yes. I get an error "The file could not be saved because the part's geometry is not valid for this type of save operations."

What version of SWX are you running? Which surface feature did you use to create the surfaces?

Perhaps you have separate surfaces that aren't knitted together, might as well knit and make solid so the face normals are unified for sure too.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

StrykerTECH:
Solidworks will only take dimensions .00000394in (0.1micron) and larger. I did try using a very small thickness and it still creates seperate surfaces for the inside and outside of the cylinder. This causes problems with software that this is imported into.

Kevin:
I have tried knitting the surfaces, the same error. I don't think solidworks can do what I want and as I have learned more about STL files I understand why. An STL file is simply a list of triangles with the xyz coordinates of the corners and an xyz normal vector which designates which side of the surface was external to the model and which side was internal(solid). When a model has no thickness, the software cannot know which direction to assign to the normal vector.

Dans95,

Two questions:
1. What is the application that it requires an STL file?

2. Can you or can you not post the file?

- - -Updraft

Yeah, you're probably right it needs thickness, better worded it needs to have a closed and defined surface area when slices are made to build the layers of the object for printing.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Kevin,
I think closed VOLUME describes it better. The stl file is then a list of triangles that make up the surfaces of the closed volume.

Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back