Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Assemblies as STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdowning

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2003
US
Hello Solid Edge users,
I have some solid edge assemblies that I want to export in .STL format. Can this be done? I see that parts will export into STL just fine, but I really need to work at the assembly level.
Thanks.
Mark Downing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience has been that you cannot export ASM files as STL files. We were trying to do this for rapid prototyping, what we did was exported the file as a Parasolid file and it worked for us.

You can import an assambly from Solid Edge into a part (sometimes usefull to simplify). The part can than be saved as .prt for archive (and can be updated because it stays linked to the assembly) and as .STL

Saving as Parasolid, Iges etc. will work also.

Regards,

Pekelder

How about a weldment. It is treated as a single part in SE and therefore might be able to "convert" you assembly into something that will export to STL.

The other option would be to open a new part and Insert a Part Copy of your assembly. Many times this fails as solid geometry, but usually works as construction if the surfaces are all you need.

--Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back