Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting assemly from IDEAS to PROE

Status
Not open for further replies.

umit

Automotive
Aug 2, 2004
US
I need to export an assembly from IDEAS to Pro/E. I do not spend my time exporting each part seperatly and assmebling them into Pro/E. Is there any way to export it to Pro/E as an assembly with all different part in it?
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for your quick reponse.
My problem is that ideas creates the step file for each different part. I mean I do not have one step file containig all the assembly parts. Is it the way how it works? or am I missing somethig?
Thank you,
Regards.

umit

I know that in UG, if I do an assembly out to STEP from within UG, I get the details combined into a single part when brought into Pro/E. If I do an external STEP out, I get individual parts and the assembly structure.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

As I know, the ideas can write the all assembly in iges format as one part. Try in this way! (Maybe use the old iges export command!)

Irwin

IGES will work, but I don't think the old IGES (ie. v5.0) supports assemblies, but v5.3 certainly does. However, both sending and receiving softwares have to be running v5.3

The STEP translation should also work, and from my experience with better results to Pro-E. Not sure why you're getting individual STEP files for each part.

With the Assembly on the Workbench Select:
File -> Export -> STEP

Double click one of the instances so that the entire assembly is selected, Select return, and leave the default STEP 214 option selected and press OK. For me this gives a single STEP file containing the Assembly Hierachy.

If you don't get this, what version of I-DEAS are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back