Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting assmebly from IDEAS to PROE

Status
Not open for further replies.

umit

Automotive
Aug 2, 2004
US
I need to export an assembly from IDEAS to Pro/E. I do not spend my time exporting each part seperatly and assmebling them into Pro/E. Is there any way to export it to Pro/E as an assembly with all different part in it?
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Export the I-deas assembly as a STEP file. When you import the STEP file into Pro/ENGINEER import it as an assembly, not a part. I have done this a many times and it has been rather successful. Here are my settings in my config.pro file that I use for importing and exporting.

step_export_format ap203_is
intf3d_out_default_option solid
intf3d_out_extend_surface no
intf_in_blanked_entities NO
intf3d_in_include_items SRFS_CRVS_PNTS
iges_out_dwg_line_font yes
fix_catia_iges_sym_note yes

I hope this helps.
Nate

Thank you for your quick reponse.
My problem is that ideas creates the step file for each different part. I mean I do not have one step file containig all the assembly parts. Is it the way how it works? or am I missing somethig?
Thank you,
Regards.

umit

Maybe you should address this problem on the Ideas forum. I've exported assemblies .STEP both direction with Pro/E, Solid Works, and CATIA. When I import .STEP into Pro/E 2001 in prompts me with an Import New Model Dialog box with choices of importing as a Part, Assmebly, Diagram, Layout or Drawing. Best of Luck

Vince

Try this steps in I-DEAS with the assembly on your screen:
File -> Export -> <STEP> -> OK
Then click and hold right button, select <ALL>, click mid button to approve selection. You should get a dialog box with a scroll down window at the top. THis window should contain N+1 lines, where N is a number of parts. Additional line is for assembly file you should import into new created PRO-E assembly file.
It works for me. Good luck.

Umit
The way we do it is, prior to selecting export in IDEAS go in "hierarchy" and select the assy. Then export "e203" in IDEAS. As above then import in proe as assy. I think it is important to choose e203 as I believe 214 will export only
parts.

Joe Borg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back