Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting coordinates to a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

cessna98j

Civil/Environmental
Jun 12, 2003
US
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to export x,y,z coordinates of blocks into a database automatically. Basically, we have a few hundred blocks of the same type in a drawing, and would like to devise a way to automatically export the coordinates of every block of a certain type to a database. A lisp program perhaps? We have AutoCAD Map v4.5, (AutoCAD 2000i), which seems to have a lot of options for connectivity with MS Acess database, just unaware of how to utilize these tools, and the book isn't too much help. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me put it this way. Yes, you can do what you want but it will have to be programmed to do it. What programming are you familiar with?

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

Borgunit, I am semi familiar with C programming and a limited amount of autoLISP. I did find a program online called CADminer, which has a lot of useful filters and information mining capabilities. However, it doesn't even seem to do what we want. So what kind of programming are we talking here? Have you any experience with CADminer or other similiar programs which might make this task a little easier? Thanks for the info!

cessna98j,

You can extract blocknames, coordinates and other attributes using ATTEXT to a text file in comma delimeted format *.cdf or space delimited format *.cdf which you can convert to spreasheet or database format. You have to prepare a template which will include BL: X , BL: Y and Bl: Z to have your coordinates.

Browse internet for key words: <autocad+attext> for further explanation.

cheers,

209larry

cessna98j,

I've used CADminer before and I'm pretty sure the program can extract your coordinates automatically. If you have CADminer installed, you should scroll and check out the field variables that it can extract - over 100 (X,Y,Z Coordinates included). It's really a neat program. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back