Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting individual line lengths to spreadsheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakvett

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2011
US
I'm helping to develop a lap simulator in MATLAB. A racing course is divided into straights and corners having various lengths and arc lengths. The simulator does math to approximate lap times. I have sketched the course in SW using lines and tangent arcs to create a planar, closed profile, non-intersecting sketch.

I now need to take the length of each line and arc, and individually export them into a spreadsheet. Ex: the course starts with a 30 ft. straight, followed by a corner with arc length of 15 ft. etc. I need my spreadsheet to say 30 in the first cell, then 15 in the second cell, and so on. I know I can measure each entity, and input the data manually, but this is tedious. Is there a way to do it faster?

Maybe design tables or macros would help, but I'm not sure how to utilize either for the situation. Help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This could be done in the API.

It is very easy to add dims to all the lines and arcs (except maybe splines) and use equations to join them into one overall length.

It seems to me that while SW may layout the track OK with simple circular arcs, an actual race line would have to be calculated as racing lines are generally no pure analytical curves.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

I ended up using design tables and using arc length dimensions.

To kellnerp: an ideal racing line is a constant arc, although this is very hard to actually do, which is why simulations can only be so accurate. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back