Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting MText from Autocad to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetwax

Electrical
Jul 2, 2005
CA
My boss has tasked me with entering a bunch of text data (tag names, descriptions and addresses) from an autocad drawing he produces (electrical schematic) into MS Excel so that it can be then imported into Control Logix and form the tag database.

The electrical schematic contains a depiction of an IO card with an assortment of tag names and circuitry connecting them with their respective pins.

I am looking for help/suggestions in getting the different Mtext text out of autocad and into a csv file.

The idea solution (as far as I can see) would be to select the text and hit ctrl + (some key) and then the macro would copy the text and paste it into the next row in excel. I can write code to paste into the next row in excel. My problem is that I cant get a macro to run with a ctrl + (some key) and I am unable to write the code to copy the text.

Any help/suggestions/references that you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.

I know there has to be a faster, more accurate way of getting these approx 6000 tags out of autocad and into a .csv file.

Thank you very much.

Erica Ashworth, B.Eng

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check here:

thread555-114750

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back