Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Exporting polygon topology to .shp

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskybuilder

Civil/Environmental
Jun 9, 2010
US
I'm trying to export a polygon topology I've created. Currently, I have a bunch of polylines with points corresponding to the centroids of the polygons. The centroids contain the default data assigned by Map 3D when a topology is created.

I've tried exporting with mapexport and it always filters out everything and doesn't create any files. Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

My ultimate goal is to overlay these polygon shapes over an existing shapefile and combine the feature properties of the two.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The MapExport function is not especially reliable. For instance, I've never gotten it to work from inside Civil 3D!

- Make sure you're trying to create a Polygon shapefile with your Polyline data (and not a point or line shapefile).
- Make sure your topology is polyline-based. Run MapCheck, but save a copy first!
- Check that you have all the latest updates: (Note they're listed in reverse chronological order and an Update will install all fixes below it.)
- Check that you've specified a coordinate system for your drawing.
- Make sure you're clicking the tab to attach data.

Thanks for the response! I should have been a little more clear. I'm actually using Civil 3D, not the stand alone Map 3D, so I am trying to use map export in Civil 3D.

As far as your points:
-I've verified I was trying to create a polygon shapefile
-Topology is polyline based with correct centroids as I've mentioned
-I'm running update 3.1, and I don't think the other hotfixes really apply to my installation
-I'm using a generic x-y coordinate system because the base map my polygons are based off of had no coordinate system specified
-I was attaching the data I wanted from the automatically generated object data tables for the topology.

If map export doesn't work in Civil 3D, what are my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back