Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to IGES - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poorpaulus

Automotive
Feb 3, 2002
GB
I am trying to export a model to an IGES file so that it can be opened in I-DEAS. When I first exported the file, I checked to see if was a success by importing back into SW. It opened with surface errors. Is there any way around this? I am on a tight timeline.
The guys at the I-DEAS station haven't got time to start correcting the files.

Paul.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We send all of our IDEAS-bound data to a service for translation into native IDEAS formats. Most of our Tier-1 and OEM customers demand this, anyhow.

The service is MathData Services, website <
I have seen Lyle's (lfischer) demonstration of Capvidia. It is an excellent product.

[bat]Due to illness, the part of The Tick will be played by... The Tick.[bat]

Paul,
I don't know much about IDEAS, but I do export IGES to MasterCam and have no problems.

ifischer,
Please help with the users...this is not a sales convention. You use the same wording on all of your threads. Thank you

ctopher, I am trying to figure out how to successfully export an iges file from SolidWorks to Mastercam.
Each time I do this, none of the points in the file come in, and the 3d curves that I need are either missing or broken up.
Any ideas?
The curves are min/max 3d curves on the surfaces in order to cnc cut along these curves.

They seem a little on the expensive side. Is there any software that you could recommend which I could purchase to put on my machine?

Paul.

Can't IDEAS import somthing other than IGES? How about ACIS, STEP, etc? Maybe that's one of the reasons - or at least a symptom of why it's appears to be going bye-bye!

Krustykrabs - other than the fact that we are now in the wrong thread with this and its is getting all mixed up - seems you are trying to do some of your CAM work up front in SW which is not a great place to do CAM work. Why not leave all that stuff to the experts - the CAM software?

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back