Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exposed copper (for water) OK in industrial building? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentov

Electrical
Feb 2, 2004
US
Does code allow the use of exposed copper tubing for water delivery system inside an industrial building? And for compressed air also?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copper water lines are very common for industrial service. If it's relatively cold water, the lines can sweat during the summer, resulting in drips that can cause problems with other equipment or slippery floors. Insulating the lines is the usual solution.

Copper piping for compressed air service is sometimes used. In many general industrial plants, the joints are often soft soldered. I've had several inspectors tell me that this isn't strictly prohibited by code, but I wouldn't do it. These joints can fail if there's a fire in the plant, as there's no liquid in the pipe to keep them cool. If you're using copper for compressed air, have somebody licenced under Section IX silver solder the joints.

Agreed. We use copper for some clients.

Be advised, however, that I've had more than one contractor provide a zero cost option to use socket weld schedule 10S stainless for air systems instead of copper (power plant applications). They apparently prefered a stainless socket weld to a solder joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back