Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exposed Rebar in Box Culverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

schumi7xwdc

Civil/Environmental
Jun 22, 2006
US
On my project I have several large sized pre-cast box culverts that were transported to the project and have some exposed rebar, what types of epoxy or epoxy/mortar is recommended to seal these and inhibit rusting.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you describe sounds like reason to reject the culverts as substandard. IF repairs can be considered, suggest that you have the culvert supplier make a proposal (at their expense) for your consideration - this is their problem, not yours.

[idea]

granted it is there problem, but any proposed repair method should be evaluated. There are many possible products which could be used to repair the structures. I believe the cleaning, preparation and repair method is more critical to your success. This may include chipping, routing or undercutting the concrete, cleaning or blasting, and then preparation and application of a patching material so that a good mechanical anchorage and bond is obtained.

Where is the rebar and why is it exposed? I think your regulator may be a little worried.

I would consider rejection or let the manufacturer come up with the solution just so as not to take on the liability. The whole point of precast is you get a quick product that meets set specifications. I would require the manufacturer to document all corrections and stamp a letter stating that the box culvert meets or exceeds the specifications as submitted and is accepatble by the regulators. Why should a construction engineer be responsible for a manufacturer error? This is their box and they should stand by their product.

Keep in mind also if substantial lengths of rebar are on the surface, the load-carrying capacity may also be compromized. Skin repairs are generally expensive, and best done at the factory. Send the culverts back, dont take liability, as even with the best repairs, they are liable to corrode (they ARE culverts !) soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back