Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exposing Component Attributes at higher assembly levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisAbbott

Automotive
Jul 16, 2013
FR
Does anyone know if this is possible?

The specific scenario is having Electrical Routing connector IDs displayed in the parts list in Drafting. They are stored as the "UNIQUE_ID" component attribute that is only visible at the routing assembly level. As soon as you use the master model method of creating a drawing you introduce a new level and lose access to those attributes.

The only thing I can think of is to somehow make those attributes visible a level above - thinking along the lines of how PMI filters work.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can use Interpart Expressions to link expressions (which can be attribute values) to higher levels of an Assembly.

Now under normal circumstances, Part Attributes assigned to the master model should be inherited by the Component at the Assembly level. You can see these attributes by, while in the Assembly, selecting the Component, pressing MB3, selecting the Properties option and expanding the Attributes tab. There you will find a 'Context' section where you can select the 'Component' option and then you'll see the attributes inherited or assigned to the selected Component. If your attributes are NOT there, but they were part attributes on the master model, then you may need to contact GTAC and have them open a PR/ER to this effect since they really should have been inherited automatically. Note that this only applies to inheriting Part Attributes up the Assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,

I think the confusion here is that I'm referring to "Component Attributes" rather than "Part Attributes". My understanding is that Component Attributes are instance-specific, and not tied to the actual parts themselves. Very useful for things such as the connector IDs in routing where several instances of the same connector would have unique IDs, but seemingly only accessible at the assembly level at which they are applied. I would have assumed, though, that the Master Model drawing method would effectively bypass the top level and give you access to all the information you would expect to see at the level below, but that does not appear to be the case.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Just a bit of clarification on the previous post, obviously "Instance Attributes" are separate to "Component Attributes". But the same issue applies to both - they are applied and stored at a specific assembly level, and appear not to be retrievable at the drawing level above.

Chris Abbott
TEAM Engineering

Yes, but many of them are inherited from the Part Attributes assigned to the Master Model. If you add/delete/edit a Part Attribute at the Master Part Model it will be reflected in BOTH the 'Instance' and 'Component' attributes as seen when working in the Assembly. Now of course, any additions/deletions/edits made while in the Assembly to these 'Instance' and 'Component' attributes will have no effect whatsoever on the Part attributes of the Master Model, they will only be effective for THAT particular Assembly model.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back