Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extended Wrap Feature Functionality - API

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythm

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2011
US
Hi,

I have a need to wrap an open contour sketch on to a curved surface. The curved sketch would then serve as a sweep path. This is beyond the capability of the current Wrap Feature as I understand it.

I am wondering how difficult (and where to start) an API that would transform the coordinates of an open contour 2D sketch sketch on to a cylindrical face. Mathematically this isn't hard to do, but I am not sure how SWX goes about creating curved sketch geometry. It seems that the wrap feature has the engine to do this, but it requires closed contours (why??).

I have tried various ways of achieving (Wrap,Projections) this but it always ends up with distorted geometry. I am able to fake the geometry I need to get my parts made, but I would like to make models correct.

If any knows a better way, please let me know. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea where to start with the API method, but there is a simple workaround for the open vs closed sketch limitation.

Close the sketch
Create the Wrap
Create a 3D sketch and convert the entities required for the path

Hi, scythm:

Could you please post an image to show what you are trying to achieve? As long as you can express in Math, it should be doable.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back