Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending IR Signal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I want to have a full control of the digital camera mounted on the radio controlled helicopter using a wireless method. Currently I can control the base for tilting and panning using two servos connected to an FM receiver via a remote control.

You're better off trying to run the camera from an RF link, either directly or by using the RF signal to drive an IR signal local to the camera. The field of view of the receiver on the camera is too large to be able to maintina adequate reception margin in the daylight over any sort of extended range.
TTFN

Sorry, I missed the obvious! Flying the helicopter itself is a full time job. I assume a second operator will be controlling the camera. I would suggest cannibilizing a 'toy' electric ARF for the two channel transmitter, receiver and servos. Otherwise a simple three channel transmitter and (lightened) four channel receiver such as the GWS R-4P (4.5 grams, modified) could be used.

Thanks for your reply guys.. being not an electronics expert, would you be able to recommend any reference materials where I can read on converting IR to RF? Or is there anyone out there who was done this project before?

Cheers

Are you trying to use the exsisting IR control that came with the camera? If so, then you need to convert the servo output to on-off switches, and some how connect those to the control. The output of a R/C reciever is PWM, But it is not 100% duty cycle. If I remember, it is about 10-20mS, so you could set it up for 15mS, anything over is on, any thing less if off. ACE used to sell these, but not sure they are still in bus. Might try some of the Hobby stores, like Tower Hobbies, or Hobby Lobby (not the craft store, but the one in Europe). I am sure that someone still make these.

Steve Owens
Finish Line Product Development Services
Steve.Owens@FinishLinePDS.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back