Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending range of 802.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

malofquISt

Electrical
Aug 7, 2003
US
anyone have experience extending the range of an 802.11 wireless link? if I wanted one in a car and wanted to talk to a stationary computer, how far could I go?

directional antennas, or lower noise amps, and PAs will help, but PAs are FCC violation i'm sure. but more sensitivity is the answer, i'm sure.

wwyd?

Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Realistically, probably not more than 1/2 mile. Some base stations claim 1500 ft and you can get repeaters to move out even farther, but why do you want to do that?

TTFN

I think a better (higher) antenna system is your best option. But keep in mind that the transmission line losses will be very high at this frequency, so you will need to have the transmitter (generally in your wireless router) very close to your antenna.

At 2.4 gHz, propagation is strictly line-of-sight. So if you are trying to connect to a base station from a car, getting the antenna as high as possible, and outside, should help.

Another 'Honda-project' no doubt...

"more sensitivity" is the answer only to a certain point. Once you can hear every 2.4 GHz microwave oven and every 2.4 GHz cordless phone in the city, then further sensitivity doesn't help. You'll be lucky to get a city block with Wi-Fi to a car.

Wi-Max (and Mobile Wi-Max) is coming in a few years.

The OP was asking about a link to a car. The concept of using a directional antenna on a moving car is not really very practical. And, given that the car is moving, it's not even practial to use a directional antenna on the other end (the fixed end) of the link - unless you plan to have a full-time staff to keep it aimed.

American FCC specs 1 watt max at the antenna input. Research appropriate antenna characteristics to determine the range you will receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back