Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending Range of an IR remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi

I am having probs with some neighbors who insist on hanging 200W RMS loudspeakers outside of their apartment opposite mine while they listen to music in their back yard!! I have have devised a method of controlling their hifi using an IR multifunction remote and simple telescope to switch off the equipment over 150Yard range. I did have direct line of view, however they have now moved the hifi and I can no longer control it.
I would be interested to know anybodies thoughts on the feasibility of using a 960nm laser module to transmit the same signal which I could then aim at one of their internal walls directly opposite the hifi. I'm assuming the wavelenth is 960nm and also assuming that the specular reflection would be picked up the the IR receiver. My only concern is that a 1mW laser wouldn't have the umphhh to do the job. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you could always build an IR relay and place it in a window that did have LOS with the object and then use your scope and remote to control it then very easy to do with a IR sensor, a 2N2222, a 2N3904, a couple of resistors, and another IR LED.

Hi

I am having probs with some neighbors who insist on hanging 200W RMS loudspeakers outside of their apartment opposite mine while they listen to music in their back yard!! I have have devised a method of controlling their hifi using an IR multifunction remote and simple telescope to switch off the equipment over 150Yard range. I did have direct line of view, however they have now moved the hifi and I can no longer control it.
I would be interested to know anybodies thoughts on the feasibility of using a 960nm laser module to transmit the same signal which I could then aim at one of their internal walls directly opposite the hifi. I'm assuming the wavelenth is 960nm and also assuming that the specular reflection would be picked up the the IR receiver. My only concern is that a 1mW laser wouldn't have the umphhh to do the job. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back